The design contest section on Sitepoint has now branched off into it's own site.

http://www.99designs.com/

The site still uses login information from sitepoint and it looks exactly the same except for the nifty logo in the upper left which was born from a design contest (go figure!?)
It will be interesting to see how this site, now that it is it's "own thing", evolves. I know a lot of designers are against spec work and I don't like participating in contests where an agency has used a contest as a way to "outsource" it's own clients. BUT I also like doing logo designs. I'm not usually all that concerned with winning but I like the process of coming up with a concept and working it out. I like getting feedback too. I like the times that I HAVE won because, let's face it, the economy is not fantastic right now and I do struggle. A random $200 slipped into my paypal account is nice once in a while.
There is also a section on http://www.worth1000.com/
for corporate contests but it's much different because: there is no communication between the client and the designers, nobody gets to see the entries until the time limit is done and it's voting time and the prizes are not as high. Anyone have any thoughts about this...stuff? :)

Another site I came across and love: www.redbubble.com
For creatives! Sell your work, showcase it, connect with like-minded individuals etc. A deviantart-esque place with not so much of a "gothic" undertone if you know what I mean?
I suggest making an account, uploading some work and just seeing what happens. Also, it's very inspiring and fun to explore other users work. Anyone else have a redbubble account? There is a lot of really beautiful work on there.

2 Clever Remarks

  1. Anonymous // February 20, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

    I used to do a lot of sitepoint contests and I won occasionally, but I got a handful of clients that way. I also used the portfolio I had built up to get more work. So, when starting out spec work is ok. thats my 2cents. I'm still be using some of the non winning entries as posts for my Illustrator tutorial blog: AiBURN.com

    I like your use of transparency on the site. its cool.

  2. Ivy K. // February 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

    agreed, agreed and agreed, ditto and thank you. :)